Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I'll never forget that the Salt Lounge closed


I was frustrated today. I am the first to admit that I can be, at times, careless and clumsy... so I can tolerate it in others, but only up to a point. Today was too much and after six e-mails, many misunderstandings and yet another last-minute writeup, I was, well, angry. It'd been about three months since I'd been that angry (over a movie), and more than a year before that (which was ex-boyfriend related).

And that's when I remembered how important it is to have friends around to calm you down, and a Swiss Chalet within walking dinner. (Obviously, I intended to write distance but this slipped and it's funnier now and I don't want to change it.) Other ways to soothe your soul? Read a book and take a bath and drink a glass of wine. I'm beginning to rediscover all of my passions, it seems. : )

I picked up a new book today. It all started because I wanted to visit Pages because
this article told me it would be forced to relocate once its 10-year lease ended and its $150,000/mth rent doubled March 1. When I told my neighbour the story, he was like, $150,000? Really? We figured they would have to make $5,000 every day selling magazines and books just to cover the cost of rent. Ludicrous, right?

So we went to Pages and I picked out a book and started chatting with the manager. Apparently, the number is more like $150,000 a year (I hope the online article is updated, soon), and they didn't really have to move... they kind of want to because the Queen West strip is ever-changing and filling with more and more chain stores. So basically, the article is pretty messed up.

I still bought
this book but wondered if I'd still trust the newspaper. Anyways, I'm 20 pages into this, and one little line popped out and it kind of relates to how I feel sometimes and probably how a lot of other twentysomethings feel sometimes, or all the time, or maybe never (and then good for you!):

.... the onset of that lonely, latent kind of panic which accompanies the realization that you can no longer afford not to know where your life is heading...

2 comments:

Phronk said...

Latent panic...yeah, that's a good way to describe it.

But then there's also the sunscreen song!

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

lori said...

hehe. I just youtubed that song and was instantly inspired. :)