Tuesday, October 27, 2009

two thoughts on tuesday

Well, I had more than two thoughts today, but I’m only going to record two on the Internet:

1) When you stop and think about it, there’s something, sometimes, a bit sad about returning home to an empty apartment. Usually I turn my music on before I even notice the absolute silence, but today I thought I’d unpack my groceries and work on dinner first. And did you know there’s nothing sadder than unpacking groceries for one in silence? No one to listen to the random and cute and sometimes awkward stories from the day? This is when I miss my old roommates and floormates and family most.

2) But when the music’s on, everything seems to be OK. I think that I’ve come home and turned on The National every night since Sunday because I want to hear a man’s voice. Really, there’s something comforting about his deep vocals and haunting lyrics and really all that’s left to do is light a musky candle and I’ll be in heaven.

Oh, maybe a real-life man would also do the trick. But sometimes imagining one is easier on the heart.

xo

lori

2 comments:

Phronk said...

I've been doing the alone thing for over a year, and what terrifies me is that I'm getting used to it.

Because there are a lot of good things about it. Those groceries for one can contain whatever you want.

And you don't have to worry if anyone else likes The National too. But you probably wouldn't want to live with the type of person who doesn't.

lori said...

It's true. I know I talk/type a lot about meeting someone, but the reality is that dating is so much different now that I've been on my own.

Everything moves a little bit slower and I'm a little more careful because I don't want anyone who's only a little bit right for me. :)