Sunday, December 21, 2008

from 303 to 301

I love when people make casual comments that leave lasting impressions.

My favourite?

"Lori, you gotta look out for No. 1...

... that's YOU!"

It's quite a basic way to think about things, but it's so important. There was a time when I was ignorant or simpled ignored what was best for myself and my sanity. And while that's not a time I'd like to relive, I feel like I gained a greater sense of self, and I can look at other situations with so much more clarity because of it.

The hardest part is watching friends deal with the unfriendly bits of life, and while I'd like them to take the quickest, most effective escape routes, that's often not the case. But then part of me wonders if I'm developing this no-second-chances, cynical, get-out-before-you-get-hurt kind of mindset.

I just think it's the safest way to look out for this No. 1, y'know?

No comments: